Presented by the Grand River Health Stroke Team, Central South Regional Stroke Network
With Paula Chidwick, PhD
Zoom link will be provided after registration.
1. Aid staff in identifying common ethical dilemmas and strategies to approach them
2. Identify when it is appropriate to consult a substitute decision maker for care decisions
3. How does cognitive impairment and aphasia impact consent and capacity determinations?
4. Navigating ethical dilemmas surrounding feeding tubes
→ Situations where family and patient wishes differ
→ Do patients understand fully the risks and benefits?
→ Obtaining consent
5. Discuss ethical issues at discharge
→ Moral distress involved with discharging patients with cognitive impairment
→ Staff / patient / SDM conflict on discharge decisions
6. Discuss selected ethics questions submitted by registrants